Saturday, September 8, 2012

Hello to a new friend

Since my old smoker broke this week I was toiling over a new smoker I ran across this on an Amazon search, by accident quite honestly.




I started looking at all the comments and reviews for the Smokin-It model #2 then started Googling the rest of the internet. The information I could find was sparse but for the little there was I was quite impressed. I wanted to know more especially about being able to replace worn out parts.. I contacted the company and left a message. The owner, Steve, called me back and we and chatted about smokers, high end units, the similarities and differences between his and the high end units, replacing parts, and what if he were to go out of business. i.e. how standard are his parts? and could I fix this myself? I would say, for the most part, he sold me… since I bought one.

One of my main concerns was the depth of the model since I on occasion cook 8 racks of ribs at once or 3 racks of ribs with a pork butt underneath. He talked me in to the Smokin-It model #3 which is basically a stretched model #2 with a bigger heating element (1200 watts).

Guess what showed up today? My new BBQ meat smoker! This is not so much a review as it is a first impressions.

It was well packed with plenty of cushion for the shipping
Smoking_It_2012-09-07_4359Smoking_It_2012-09-07_4360
The only thing I had to assemble were the casters in to the legs of the smoker. These are nice BIG casters!
Smoking_It_2012-09-07_4361
If I had to be critical I would say that they could of done a better job concealing the welds but after I had it all together and really looked at it. The places you can see the welds don't show since they are underneath were you will never see them or are inside the smoker (soon to be black with smokey goodness).
Smoking_It_2012-09-07_4362

The wood box is made for chucks, or blocks, of wood but since I have pounds of oak, hickory, and apple wood laying around in chip form I ordered the additional screen. So now I can use the chips without having them fall though the large holes and hit the heating element.
Smoking_It_2012-09-07_4363
Besides having a big 1200 watt element I was happy to see totally removable racks for easy cleaning. I can hear the wife asking, "what is in the dishwasher?!?!" now. ;)
Smoking_It_2012-09-07_4364Smoking_It_2012-09-07_4365
I was also impressed the the front door drip shield as now the wife won't be wanking at me about "staining the deck with meat drippings"
Smoking_It_2012-09-07_4366

I wiped down the inside with a cloth sprayed with Pam to pick up any foam or other debris that may have fallen in there and started the 4 hour recommended break-in/seasoning run. i placed one temperature probe on the bottom rack and one temperature probe on the top rack. Smoker is set to 250*. As you see one picture shows a 2 degree variance but I know my old probe is about 4 degrees off so I am happy to be within 6* top to bottom. The other blue thermometer is a model engine surface temp gauge that I was using to look for heat leaks. The top of the smoker was around 100 degrees and the hottest area I could find was at the right hand side of the door that was 118*. I was very pleased with the insulating properties of the new smoker.
Smoking_It_2012-09-07_4367Smoking_It_2012-09-07_4368

I do have some beef ribs to cook but that will have to wait till Sunday since the is a State Championship BBQ competition right here in Richmond sanctioned by the Kansas City BBQ society so I am going!

No comments:

Post a Comment