Sunday, September 16, 2012

New skinning knife

I picked up a new Gerber hunting knife (gut hook) today and I have sworn by the Gerber brand for at least 15 years. Every Gerber I have had has been bullet-proof and I have even received compliments on my older model of the Gerber Covert FAST 22 pocket knife because it is slick and butter smooth but, when I got my new knife I was kind of bummed to see "Made in China" on the packaging. Looking in to it I see that now even Swiss Army knives are made in China now. Sad. Quality still seems to be there I mean it is a fine knife for a mere $20 and it is titanium coated but just sad.

The knife felt sharp but I prefer to put my own edge on them. With all my kitchen knives I use an electric Chef's Choice 1520 Diamond Sharpener but for knives that need a special angle or are odd shaped nothing beats the old tried and true Lansky System. I know knife sharping purest cringe at the thought of using an electric sharpener but honestly when I have to sharpen 15 knives to a 20* angle I can do it in minutes and the knife will be about as sharp as the Lansky can make it.

The blade was in between 25 and 30 degrees of sharp but now it is dead on 25 degrees and ready to slice open what ever animal I happen to be working on. I did a test stoke here in the office on a few sheets of stacked paper. LOVE IT!





No comments:

Post a Comment